The role of gatekeepers is to oversee the day-to-day running of the local exchange and incubator in the selected case study location. This includes but is not limited too:
- Admin: Paperwork and utilities related to the local office.
- Hiring of locals: The local exchange will need local help to setup and operate. A trustworthy person on the ground is required to execute this recruitment process.
- Management of security, exchange & incubator equipment: Equipment delivered to the local office will need to be set up and secured. It is the role of the gatekeeper to oversee this process on the ground.
- Exchange operation: Cash inventory in the exchange will need to be restocked. Gatekeepers play a vital role in restocking cash inventory and managing the operation of the local exchange.
- Incubator operation: Gatekeepers are required to set up incubator equipment, monitor inventory and help with incubee troubleshooting (e.g. ensuring that video calls are setup correctly).
Put simply, without trustworthy gatekeepers in the case study area, it’s exceptionally unlikely that this proposed case study will be operationally viable.
ii) How to Approach
It is proposed that gatekeepers are sourced from any of the following means:
- Academics who wish to conduct research in the case study area.
- Recommended contacts from academics or charities.
- Charity personnel operating in the local area.
- The cryptocurrency community.
- Open advertising of the role.
Gatekeepers would be in a position of power if the case study was deployed. This means that the necessary background and character checks are required to evaluate the gatekeeper candidate. There will also be channels for case study locals to communicate abuse of power to participating crypto project teams.
It is advised that gatekeepers are managed remotely by crypto project teams and that weekly update calls should be used to delegate tasks and get an update on progress.
iii) Key Questions
- The process for finding reliable gatekeepers in the case study area?
- The amount of remuneration perspective gatekeepers will need?
- How long can the gatekeepers commit to the case study location and how easy is it to find a replacement?
- Which monitoring systems and process will be used to protect against potential gatekeeper abuse of the local population?